During fertilization, the main function of the spermatozoon is to carry the male DNA to the woman's egg; however, this DNA may be fragmented, being a possible cause of male infertility, poor quality of embryonic development, as well as habitual abortion in the couple.
A couple in which the male has a high level of sperm DNA damage (> 30%), should consider IVF, ICSI or PICSI to achieve a pregnancy.
Deteminación test the level of sperm DNA fragmentation (by testing the sperm chromatin dispersion) is directed mainly to the following cases:
- Men over 45 years
- Aztenozoospermia severe
- Use of different types of drugs
- Contact with environmental toxins
- Problems with hormonal factors
- Urinary tract inflammation
- Exposure to high temperatures (testicular overheating)
- Patients who have undergone chemotherapy and / or radiotherapy
- Couples with poor embryo quality
- Couples with habitual abortion